FAQs About American Heart Association CPR Certification And Employment

Health & Medical Blog

Who needs American Heart Association CPR certification and which course is the right option for you? If you're not sure whether you can, should, or need this type of certification, take a look at what you need to know about an American Heart Association CPR class.

Do You Need A General CPR Course Or Something Else?

Some people will only need to take a general CPR class. If you want to learn CPR to potentially save a life someday, but don't need this certification for your job, you may want to take a general type of class. The American Heart Association's (AHA) Family and Friends course can help you to learn the basics. This hands and breath-focused course can teach you how to help someone who isn't breathing or doesn't have a pulse. But it won't fulfill most work CPR certification requirements.

What Type of CPR Class Do You Need To Take For Your Job?

The answer to this question depends on where you work, what you do, and your employer's requirements. Healthcare workers usually must complete a specialized healthcare provider basic life support (BLS) or advanced cardiovascular life support (ACLS) course and certification program. 

This includes people employed in positions such as physicians, nurses, nursing assistants, medical assistants, occupational therapists, physical therapists, support personnel, and other healthcare facility/hospital workers. Emergency medical services (EMS) technicians and paramedics will also need specialized or advanced CPR training. 

Some other types of employees, such as childcare workers, may also need these types of certifications or an Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) compliant class. If you're not sure which CPR class you should take or which type of certification is a requirement for your job, contact your employer. Along with CPR, you may also need First Aid or Automated External Defibrillator (AED) training. 

Do You Need Pediatric, Adult, or Both CPR Training?

Again, the answer to this question depends on why you're taking the class and if it's for an employment requirement. People who work with children in daycare centers or schools will need an infant/pediatric training class. Nannies, babysitters, and other independent childcare providers may also want to choose an infant/pediatric course. 

Some people who don't work or don't get paid to work with children may also want to consider an infant/pediatric option. Parents, aunts, uncles, grandparents, or anyone who spends time with a child/a family with children can benefit from this type of CPR training course. 

For more information, contact an American Heart Association CPR certification class provider.


16 February 2023

Tips for Living a Great Life with Chronic Illness

I was always very healthy throughout my childhood, but when I became a teenager, I was diagnosed with a chronic illness. Thankfully, I had the support of my loving family to help keep me upbeat during a time that could have led to me experiencing the depression that some do after they first learn they will have an illness for life. I am very grateful for the advice I have gotten throughout my life, so I decided to create a blog where I can share all of the advice that has helped me live a happy, healthy life, despite having a chronic illness. Since I am on a medication that suppresses my immune system, I have also studied up on many other illnesses and tips for avoiding them and treating them. I plan to post health tips for people of a variety of ages and suffering with various illnesses!